Transferring a UK Pension to Europe as a Resident in France
Residents in Europe have the option of transferring a UK pension scheme to a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS) in Malta.
Malta is a country in the European Union and a member of the European Economic Area.
A QROPS in Malta is a regulated pension scheme and retirement benefits can be received anywhere throughout the European Economic Area (EEA).
Moving to France | UK Pension Transfers to a Pension Scheme in Europe
If you are moving to Spain, it is possible to transfer private pension schemes in the UK to Europe by setting up a QROPS in Malta.
It is possible to set up a QROPS in euros rather than pounds sterling.
Transferring a Pension to Europe
You may want to move some or all of your pension fund (sometimes called a ‘pension pot’) if:
- you’re changing job
- your pension scheme is being closed or wound up
- you want to transfer to a better pension scheme
- you have pensions from more than one employer and want to bring them together
- you’re moving overseas and want to move your pension to a scheme in that country
Tax on a Malta QROPS for Residents in France
- No tax at source in Malta if resident in the European Economic Area
- There is a double taxation agreement between France and Malta
- Local taxes in France apply
Tax on Transfer
There is no tax on transfer under current rules.
However, there is an Overseas Tax Charge (OTC) which can apply if you leave the European Economic Area (EEA) within five years of transferring your pension scheme.
How to Transfer a UK Pension to a QROPS
A financial adviser can provide you with the necessary forms to begin the process. An adviser will guide you through the process and make recommendations based on your circumstances.
Please contact us for more information.